I’m always on the lookout for healthy ways to spice up my breakfast in the mornings. Early this year discovered this fantastic idea to use up sweet potatoes and include it as part of a healthy meal in the morning. It’s very filling and so satisfying, because it’s like having dessert for breakfast. So here it is ladies and gentlemen I give you a breakfast option that tastes like dessert.
Baked (Crème Brûlée) sweet potato oatmeal
This recipe is from Eye it Try it
Difficulty: easy. Serves: 4-6
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 cups milk (almond if you want extra healthy or are lactose intolerant)
- 2 medium-large ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2tsp cinammon & pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbs maple syrup/honey
- TOPPING: 1/3 cup pecan (chopped), 1/3 cup mix raisins/dried berries, 1.5tbs butter, 2tbs flour ( or wholemeal), 1/4 cup brown sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Place potato into a medium sized pot and add cold water until potatoes are just covered. Cook on medium heat for roughly 8-10mins until soft. Drain and set aside.
3. In the same or another pot : add oats, milk, chia seeds. Reduce heat and cook until oatmeal is soft
4. Add the banana and mash the sweet potato in the pot leaving a few chunks for texture. Cook for a few more minutes.
5. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup/honey. Stir and removed from heat.
6. TOPPING: Melt butter and sugar in a small pot/pan and add the rest of the topping ingredients.
7. Pour oatmeal mix into a pie dish. Spread topping over the oatmeal. Bake uncovered for 25-30minutes until the crust is golden and caramelised.
P.S: When eating this I serve this heat with 1/2 cup of skim milk and fruit salad on top. It’s delightful.
I am in love with this for breakfast around the autumn months even though it’s spring now… Ack, it’s good all year round.